This appointment is full time.
Competitive salaries are offered at the CNPEM The Basic Science Program (PPB) from the Brazilian National Laboratory for Science and Technology of Bioethanol (CTBE) has an open position for a researcher or specialist in the areas of bioinformatics and computational biology for metagenomics.
The candidate will participate in genomics and metagenomics projects in collaboration with external parties.
The candidate responsibilities include:
- Database development
- High-throughput data analyses
- Next generation Sequencing data handling
- Genome Assembly, validation and annotation
- Phylogenetic binning of genomes
- Phylogenetic and functional analysis
- Methods development
- Writing reports and Standard Operating Procedures
- Presentation of results
- Participate in technology transfer inside CTBE, but also with third parties.
The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with a young team of researchers in the areas of microbiology, enzyme and metabolic engineering, computational biology and bioinformatics. To be appointed at the higher grade the successful candidate will hold an independent research reputation, with evidence of national recognition of achievement within the appropriate subject area.
To be appointed as a Research Associate, the successful applicant must have a PhD in Computational Biology/Bioinformatics and background in Biology, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or Computational Biology, and a proven track record of high quality research in bioinformatics/molecular evolution/(meta-)genomics/comparative genomics. To be appointed as specialist we would consider candidates with graduate studies in the same areas. Advanced level of english language is required for either position.
We would particularly consider applicants with the following skills:
- Experience in development and management of databases to analyse high-throughput sequencing datasets.
- Selection of high quality reads from NGS datasets
- Advanced command of statistics
- Computer programming experience, in some of the following languages: Perl, Java, C++, Python, R
- Linux and cluster administration skills
- Experience with genome assembly, validation and annotation software
- Experience in data integration
- Experience in genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metagenomics
Formal application must be submitted to email@example.com
, and should include CV with a list of recent and relevant publications, and letter of intent.
Closing Date: 24th January 2014.
About the CTBE:
CTBE is a Brazilian national laboratory founded by the Ministry of Science and Technology (MCT) to operate as:
1) a research Institute, performing competitive RD&I for improving feedstock and conversion routes for bioethanol production from sugarcane;
2) a partner of other research organizations working in related areas, through a network of associated laboratories in universities and research institutes;
3) a technology supplier for the industry, providing strategic information on mutual concerns.